Preparing for your stay
What to bring
We provide a number of items for your personal comfort. However you may want to bring some of the items below with you:
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Personal toiletries
- Any medication you are taking on a regular basis
- Copies of medical information (your hand held maternity notes, x-rays, scans, etc)
- Admission paperwork not previously submitted to the Reservations department
- Water spray for your face
- Lip balm
- Pair of loose-fitting socks
- Hair band to keep hair off your face
- Massage oil
- Camera and/or video camera
- Hospital gowns are available for your use in labour
- Sanitary pads and disposable pants are also provided by the hospital
For your newborn baby:
The hospital provides the items below for your baby.
- Disposable nappies
- Baby gowns
- Baby blankets
- Cotton wool
You will need to bring an outfit for your baby to go home in. A car seat for the newborn baby is also essential for the journey home.
We advise you to ask relatives or friends to look after your valuables and money and not keep them with you. If you cannot arrange for these goods to be kept for you, there are small personal safes located in all patient rooms. The hospital will not accept any liability for any personal valuables or money kept in the safes as we are not able to monitor their usage and access by patients or their families and their visitors.
Medicines from home
You may be asked to bring tablets or medicines which you are currently taking at home. If this is the case, please show them to your midwife and any doctor who visits you following your admission.
For safety reasons, the hospital’s engineers must test all personal electric items before they are used in our rooms. Please request this service from a member of the ward staff on arrival.
On arrival at The Portland Hospital please report to the main reception desk. A member of our front of house staff will meet you, escort you to your room and explain our facilities for your comfort and care. Our admissions team will visit you in your room to check that your personal and insurance details are in order and to collect a deposit as appropriate.