Physiotherapy - Maternity
The Women’s Health Physiotherapy team are based at the Portland Hospital for both outpatient and inpatient services. We offer highly-specialised assessment and treatment for a variety of conditions to help you through your pregnancy and following delivery. Every woman experiences pregnancy differently; we recommend a 1:1 individual physiotherapy assessment to ensure you get the advice you need tailored for you specifically.
Our experienced physiotherapists can offer help with the following problems:
Any pain developing in pregnancy or following delivery:
- Pelvic Girdle Pain - Symphysis Pubis (pubic bone) Dysfunction / Sacro-Iliac Joint and lumbar spine dysfunction (may present as unresolved pain from previous episodes in the past)
- Wrist or hand pain - Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Thoracic spine or rib pain
- Hip and/or lower limb pain
BLADDER, BOWEL AND PELVIC CONDITIONS
Lots of women experience these types of issues in pregnancy or following delivery and it can be a very ‘normal’ part of being pregnant, but we can still help to improve the situation.
- Urinary leakage on activities such as coughing, sneezing or lifting
- Difficulty controlling wind, bowel urgency, bowel control issues
- A heavy and / or uncomfortable feeling in the perineal or vaginal area
- Perineal discomfort following delivery or stitches, pain with sex
- Abdominal discomfort following Caesarean Section, or from gapping in the tummy muscles
- Advice and information about scar massage
We can also offer advice regarding activity and exercise in pregnancy if you have questions about how much exercise to do, or what type of activity you want to carry on with during your pregnancy.
Our experienced physiotherapists can also offer 1:1 Pilates sessions during or after pregnancy which can help to reduce pain as well as keeping you fit and toned.
FOLLOWING YOUR DELIVERY
Once your baby has arrived the physiotherapy team will see you on the maternity ward to answer any questions, and to offer advice to get you comfortable, mobile, and active.
We also offer a post-delivery outpatient appointment with an experienced physiotherapist to ensure you are recovering well. This would be suggested around 6 weeks post-delivery and is open to all to attend.
Our Japanese-speaking yoga teacher provides postnatal yoga classes in Japanese which can also be booked through the therapy booking line.
For more information about our services or appointments, please contact The Portland Hospital Therapies Department on 0207 390 6553 and chooseoption 1 to book an appointment, or option 2 for enquiries. You can also Email