Am I eligible for midwife-led care
At The Portland Hospital there are eligibility criteria for booking care with the midwife-led team and all women will be risk assessed throughout the antenatal period, labour and birth. These criteria are developed with reference to nationally agreed guidelines to ensure the safety of both mother and baby. We ensure that we routinely screen all of our women to confirm that their pregnancies are deemed to be ‘low-risk’ and unlikely to develop complications.
One or more of the following criteria means that a woman would not qualify for midwife-led care and where this is the case the woman’s care would be transferred to the covering consultant obstetrician.
- Cardiac disease
- Multiple pregnancy
- Insulin dependent diabetes mellitus
- Essential hypertension
- Renal disease
- Pulmonary disease
- Clotting deficiencies
- Endocronological disease
- Known anaesthetic complications
- Severe allergies
- Substance abuse/misuse
- Severe psychiatric disorders
- Complicated surgical history to abdomen, neck or cerebral etc
- 40+ years of age
- Gynaecological history of recurrent miscarriage >3 or repeated genital tract surgery
- Previous history of post partum haemorrhage requiring resuscitation, administration of blood products/care in HDU
- Previous caesarean section unless the woman has had an uncomplicated vaginal birth following a caesarean section (VBAC)
- Previous stillbirth
- Severe pre eclamptic toxaemia
- Severe intrauterine growth retardation
- Infertility treatment
- Body Mass Index (BMI) below 18 or above 35 at early booking
- Any fetal abnormality
- Grand multiparous (woman who has had 4 or more babies)
Please note that the conditions listed above are not exhaustive and eligibility for the midwife-led care package is at the discretion of the midwife-led team to ensure the wellbeing of mother and baby.
For further information please contact our Maternity Services Advisor on 020 7390 6068.