Hearing and Balance
Established in 1983, the Hearing and Balance Department at The Portland Hospital is the largest and most comprehensive private provider of diagnostic and rehabilitative hearing services. We offer clinical and diagnostic services that are usually only found in a small number of teaching hospitals and research facilities. We treat both male and female adults and children.
The Hearing and Balance Department investigates, diagnoses and treats:
- Conductive hearing loss caused by sound not being able to pass freely to the inner ear, usually as a result of a blockage. Glue ear is a common cause of a conductive hearing loss in children.
- Sensorineural hearing loss: hearing loss that can be the result of damage to the hair cells within the cochlea (the part of the inner ear which enables us to hear) or the hearing nerve, or both.
- Newborn hearing investigations.
- Balance problems: including BPPV, Ménières and others that can be caused by inner-ear problems.
- Central Auditory Processing Disorders (CAPD): a condition where children can’t process the information they hear in the same way as others because their ears and brain don’t fully co-ordinate.
- Medico-legal work for noise induced hearing losses and head injury cases.
The department provides a range of facilities including:
- Two paediatric acoustic booths within the audiology suite
- A large adult diagnostic test suite, with four acoustic booths and a selection of audiometric investigation equipment
- A paediatric suite with one acoustic booth
- A speech and language therapy suite with implant mapping room
- A hearing aid prescription and rehabilitation room
- A balance laboratory including, VNG, bi-thermal calorics and rotary chair
- A vestibulometry suite
- Two consulting rooms
Our highly skilled and qualified staff work alongside dedicated physicians, scientists and audiologists to provide a tailored approach to the individual needs of the patient.
Our Hearing Implant Programme offers hearing solutions for different types and degrees of hearing loss.
We have had many successes with children, men and women of all ages. Patients from the UK and abroad have received implants under the care of our Hearing Implant Team.
The Portland Hospital offers three cochlear implant packages:
- Unilateral implantation (an implant in one ear only)
- Bilateral implantation (implants in both ears simultaneously)
- Sequential bilateral implantation (an implant in one ear following a previous unilateral implant)
We use the most advanced implant solutions produced by Medel®, Cochlear® and Advanced Bionics®.
All assessments, mapping and rehabilitation takes place at The Portland Hospital. For women and children, implantation takes place at The Portland Hospital but men are operated on at one of our sister facilities such as The Lister Hospital.
Click here to read about Ava's story.
In addition to Cochlear implants, our team also offers:
- Bonebridge for adults with conductive hearing loss or Single Sided Deafness (SSD).
- Baha (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid) for children and adults with conductive hearing loss or SSD.
- Vibrant Soundbridge for children and adults with mixed or Sensorineural hearing loss.
We liaise with ENT consultants as well as local rehabilitation services such as Christopher Place and Auditory-Verbal UK.
For further information or to book an appointment, please contact the Audiology appointments and infant hearing screening booking number on 020 7390 6573.
If your enquiry is about implantation, please contact:
Cochlear Implant Programme Co-ordinator Cristina Troccoli on 020 7390 6578 or at email@example.com